Become a GRACIE BARRA Team Member
Welcome to Gracie Barra
At the heart of the Gracie Barra Family’s extraordinary success over the years is our strong philosophy and mission as a group, a foundation which our masters laid many years ago, but is constantly being reinforced by the great people that make our community. Jiu-Jitsu is a beautiful art, and we have a vision of how it should be taught as a means for individual development going beyond the competitive realm. To achieve this vision, we must remember to come together as a family, always putting the team in front of individual. For that, we will fight to the end for what we believe is right.
Become part of our family now!
• 10 reasons to join
• Special Programs
• Get to know our method
We seek to train body, mind and spirit through the highest level of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu instruction. We envision the art as a vehicle for individual development and the strengthening of the family spirit, going beyond the winning-losing or contest philosophy. – Master Carlos Gracie, Jr.
GB Black Belts Database
These man and women are the outcome of many years of training and dedication to the art of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. They now hold the noble title of Gracie Barra Black Belt and continue to pay an active role inside the GB family. some of them have become BJJ Champions, others have moved away from their homes to keep our legacy alive a Jiu-Jitsu school. Many others continue to be students enjoyong a lifestyle of good habits, commitment to personal growth and lots of training.
Gracie Barra Association awards all Gracie Barra Black Belts with a certificate of honor, recognizing their rank and achievements. You can consult the Gracie Barra Black Belts database on the websie of Gracie Barra.
GB Instructors Database
Gracie Barra is proud to present our instructors. Our Instructor are those senior rank students who are active members and have shown commitment to their path into becoming Professors one day. Achieving instructor certification shows these individuals competence by confirming proficiency, career involvement and assuring knowledge. You can consult the Gracie Barra Instructors database on the websie of Gracie Barra.
Code of Conduct
- Brotherhood: GB Instructors shall reinforce the family spirit among students, parents, and other instructors. Their attitude must always be positive and cooperative in order to channel their creative energy towards the strengthen and the growth our family, always putting the team in front of individual selfish needs.
- Cooperation: GB Instructors shall nurture and reinforce a cooperative environment inside and outside the dojo. They must ensure that the competitive realm is restricted to tournaments as well as the competitor attitude. They must make the students understand that progress is not reflected on their ability to overcome a training partner or an competitive opponent, but rather reflected on their capacity to engage on a cooperative training experience were the winner is whoever learns more.
- Discipline: GB Instructors shall constantly discipline the students and never punish them. They must make students understand that without discipline there is no mastery, neither in jiu-jitsu nor in life, and that without the willingness to sacrifice, excellence is just not possible.
- Respect: GB Instructors shall reinforce that students must act with warmth and equally toward one another, regardless of their differences in race, creed, gender, nationality, etc. The belt ranks hierarchy must be respected and the authority of the black belt sincerely recognized.
- Continuous Improvement and Growth: GB Instructors shall reinforce that Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is a life long journey with no ending point. Students must perceive the Black Belt as their minimum goal and that their progress represents an increasing commitment to their growth as BJJ practitioners and human beings.
- Leadership: GB Instructors shall lead by example, kindness and care. The formal authority shall always and ever be supported by their moral authority built upon a positive, cooperative, and constructive attitude towards the students and other instructors.
- Inspiration: GB Instructors shall understand their importance on students lives as role models, as well as their responsibility in bringing out the best each person has within.
- Enjoyment: GB Instructors shall teach a class as a privilege and never take it as a burden. Each class is the realization of a dream, the instructor life’s work. They must enjoy every minute of it and teach like it was going to be their last opportunity to change students lives for better.
How we dress identifies us as a group and sets, for many people, the values we represent. What we use transmits to the others an idea about who we are. Wearing the red shirt is representing the GB Family.
The “Proud to be Part of this GB Family” is stamped on the red shield. And have you ever wondered why the red color?
“I want the red color because it represents the heart, the blood and love. All my fighters fight with heart, give their blood in trainings and, above all, they love our GB family and our Gracie Barra team”. – Master Carlos Gracie Jr.
Wearing the red shirt is saying it loudly to the world: I believe in Gracie Barra.
The Red Shirt seeks to promote a sense of unity among the members of the GB team around the world. It promotes unity, support, equality, identity, philosophy and proud of being part of GB team. Wearing the red shirt is saying: I am part of GB Team.
The Red Shirt seeks respect, brotherhood, friendship, loyalty and love to the GB TEAM. Wearing the red shirt is having it on your chest: I am Gracie Barra.
“When I put the red t-shirt on and drive to the tournament…I automatically become someone stronger, faster, and unbeatable…because I know that, there will be hundreds of GB brothers wearing the same t-shirt, representing the same values, and supporting me on the battlefield by either competing along side with me, or cheering from the stands. That’s Gracie Barra!”
– Prof. Philipe Della Monica
Around the world people are faced with the GB red sea. They identify our uniform and know that there exists a family member from Gracie Barra defending our mentality, representing our philosophy and our values. Wearing the red shirt means keeping our legacy alive.
The benefits of Gracie Barra Brazilian Jiu Jitsu are far reaching and will touch every aspect of your life. At Gracie Barra, our students become leaders. Gracie Barra nurtures your independent thinking, supports your fighting spirit, and helps you achieve your personal BJJ goals. Through GB BJJ, you will begin to understand yourself, on and off the mats, in ways you never imagined. You will test your limits and become the best you can be. GB respects that each student has their own goals and we support you in reaching them. The more you train, the better you will become and the more completely you will reach your true potential in life. GB BJJ is for anyone who wants to learn how to defend him or herself in combat. What most people don’t know, is that GB BJJ will also allow you to apply those same principles to fighting the daily battles of life, like weight loss, stress, relationship issues, and self-confidence. You will learn how to think through problems more constructively than before, on and off the mats. At GB, you are a part of an extended family. You will join a team that will support you in your quest for self-improvement. Training the techniques and participating in live training sessions, with your partners and coaches, will give you an arsenal of weapons at your disposal whenever you should need them. The more you train, the more you will arm yourself with knowledge and skills to fight all your battles in life like a black belt.
We at GB believe that if everyone trained GB BJJ, the world would be a better place…
At Gracie Barra America we strive to help students get the most out of their training. For students with consistency and dedication, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu becomes a life-style and students can readily enjoy all the benefits of the Jiu-Jitsu or the “Gentle Art”.
Working from the assumption that Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu must be embraced as a lifelong journey, Master Carlos Gracie Jr. has designed an effective learning plan or program of study that allows for students to naturally progress from the white belt to the black belt. Thus, classes and their respective curriculum at Gracie Barra America are not isolated from one another, but elements of a larger structured learning plan called “Programs”.
Gracie Barra Programs are comprised of six (6) main elements:
- Curriculums: Set of coordinated techniques organized in the best possible way to facilitate students’ learning processes. All Gracie Barra curriculums are 16 weeks;
- Pre-requisite: The minimum level a student must possess or have accomplished in order to enroll in a specific program;
- Class: The defined period of time during which the student learns the techniques that comprise the curricula using several different training methods or appropriate instructional techniques;
- Training Methods: Specific drills and training practices designed to convert the knowledge represented in the curricula and taught by the instructor into knowledge and skills, insuring that the student is able to apply their knowledge and techniques under real circumstances (or under authentic conditions);
- Minimum Attendance: minimum attendance required from the student so him or her can progress and be updated with the GB Curriculums;
- Belt System: Hierarchical rank structure designed to represent students’ progress, according to their own potential. The International Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Federation (IBJJF) ranking system is used for all Gracie Barra Programs.
All Gracie Barra students have the dream of becoming a black belt. However, this is not an easy goal and a lot of consistency and dedication is required. To fulfill the promise of facilitating students’ learning, Gracie Barra Programs are structured logically to keep students motivated to learn, practice and perform.
A typical Gracie Barra student starts with an introductory class, where he or she will learn the overall self-defense strategy of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and afterwards enroll in the Gracie Barra Fundamentals Program. After months of training and learning all the techniques comprising the Fundamental’s curriculum, the student will be recommended to join the Gracie Barra Advanced Program. With years of training and experience, the student will have the maturity level and enough knowledge to enroll on the Gracie Barra Black Belt Program. It is in the Gracie Barra Black Belt Program where he or she will be exposed to all kinds of training dynamics, including MMA, BJJ No-Gi and high level BJJ-Gi, so that the student develops his or her own Jiu-Jitsu game, strategy and technique(s).
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is a beautiful art and everyone is capable of learning it and enjoying its many benefits. Gracie Barra Programs reflect more than thirty (30) years of Master Carlos Gracie ‘s teaching experience and have succeeded in improving the life quality, self-esteem, discipline and health of thousands of individuals around the world, as well as building some of the best BJJ fighters ever known.
Gracie Barra is a worldwide community of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu practitioners: instructors, students, and athletes. Our organization is comprised by over 900 schools over the five continents and these schools are separated according to the categories below:
Gracie Barra Premium Schools: these schools operate in full alignment with Master Carlos Gracie Jr’s teaching philosophies and methods. Its instructors are certified by Gracie Barra Association and their business practices are constantly supervised to comply with the operating guidelines established by Gracie Barra Franchise Systems. All Premium Schools should have at least a head instructor that is a brown belt to operate a GB school. Students from Premium Schools have access to the highest level of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Instruction and enjoy great support from their instructors and staff on their quest to mastering Gracie Barra Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.
Gracie Barra Official Schools: run by Gracie Barra brown belts or Gracie Barra Black Belts. Although the lineage of the instructors responsible for the program are directly or indirectly linked to Master Carlos Gracie Jr. The instructors of this schools share the Gracie Barra vision but do not necessarily adopt Master Gracie’s teaching philosophy and methods nor comply with Gracie Barra Franchise Systems operating guidelines.
Gracie Barra Training Centers: these training centers are run by Gracie Barra Blue Belts or Purple Belts. They are typically located on remote places that have limited access to high ranking GB BJJ Instruction. Gracie Barra supports these individuals dedicated to the learning and sharing the art of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and is committed to developing them to becoming Official and Premium Gracie Barra Schools. GB Training Center’s Coaches share the Gracie Barra vision but do not necessarily adopt Master Gracie’s teaching philosophy and methods nor comply with Gracie Barra Franchise Systems operating guidelines.
Gracie Barra Philosophy – A testimonial of a disciple
Master Carlos Gracie Jr. believes that proper teaching does not make winning the ultimate goal. The greatest victories at Gracie Barra are always a consequence of the process and of embracing training as the best method through which one can test their personal limits.
Losing helps us to evolve into better athletes and competitors and should not be perceived as failure. Instead, Master Gracie believes these lessons should leave our self-respect intact as different facets of competition are wholly out of our control: the talent and experience of the other athletes, errors by referees, injuries and bad luck.
Because of this, he accepts physical errors but not mental ones. Our preparation, planning, attention to detail and the development of discipline and willpower are always seen as the top priority in the training process.
Inside the school, Master Carlos Gracie Jr. doesn’t limit his teaching to techniques, but also forming character. From the beginning he instills us with the understanding that the fundamentals for good Jiu-Jitsu are also fundamentals of good character. Without honesty, integrity, discipline and unselfish acts, one cannot become the great athlete he or she strives to be. As Master Carlos teaches us, if you want to truly know someone, pay attention to them as they fight. When one is engaged in struggle or combat, they cannot hide their true personality.
Gracie Barra’s success throughout the years means other teams typically see us as a major rival. While getting to the top is difficult, staying there or near there over time is an even bigger challenge. It takes a special group of people to handle that pressure. Still, our team is always ready to deal with the expectations because of the manner in which Master Gracie conducts training. His teaching philosophy is also notable. He focuses on building not only our techniques but, more importantly, our self-confidence, giving us a mental edge. He achieves this by using positive reinforcement as a tool to influence behavior rather than pressure. The result? Win or lose, he creates a group of athletes who feel a deep sense of loyalty and commitment to him and the Gracie Barra family.
Master Carlos Gracie Jr. isn’t the type of instructor that would pressure you at every tournament, screaming from the sidelines.
Instead, his lessons are felt each day, slowly growing on you, where you feel it constantly, in every aspect of your being. The true guidance he provides is in realizing that success in Jiu-Jitsu must be an extension of one’s life, and that building confidence and a commitment to excellence must be cultivated over time.
His method of building champions is not through last minute speeches providing superficial motivation. The athletes and instructors at our school learn that becoming a champion on and off the mat takes time, hard work and dedication built over the years.
Competition is always a very serious subject, but Master Carlos Gracie Jr. describes it as a test of our mindset and maturity. Conversations about matches never revolve around opponents but are seen as a fight against ourselves in our quest for self-mastery.
Going into a tournament, our thoughts are always the same: to trust in our abilities and our techniques. He inspires us to believe in ourselves and our skills and to impose our will upon our opponents, not reacting to them.
Because Master Carlos Gracie Jr. believes in us, he is always able to make us feel we are unstoppable. Even in defeat, he looks upon us not with scorn, but always shows how proud he is of our efforts “on the battlefield.” He makes you understand how much respect he has for the way you fight.
This is why when you see an athlete bearing the Gracie Barra shield on his uniform you see a competitor who is filled with an overwhelming sense of pride for the legacy and heritage we share.
Today, I am very grateful to Master Carlos, not only for being a GB instructor, but also for having been a great Master, father figure and best friend. It is not medals or trophies which inspire me – it is the lessons I have learned from him which give me strength and courage.
~ OSU ~